Thursday, December 1, 2016

Just for Today, I will be Unafraid

My meeting was really good last night.  It was on acceptance.  I needed to hear what was being said.

After the meeting, I stayed and talked to a good friend.  I needed that also.  We talked about detachment.  It occurred to me later that acceptance and detachment are two sides of the same coin.  If I'm in acceptance of a situation, wouldn't it be easier to detach?

Most often, when I can't detach or let go of a situation, it's because I'm in fear. We talked about that also.  I pray, I turn it over, and then I get a flash in my mind - like a picture or an image - of my worst case scenario on a situation.  Then, I'm right back in fear again. These flashes happen most often at night, when I wake up for no apparent reason (or even from an apparent reason) at 3 am.  And I have no power to stop them; this is how the disease works on me.  I have no perspective in the middle of the night.  What I do have is a God that I know is with me even when I don't feel it. That's what gets me through those nights.

So, today was a good day.  A good day is one where I'm not stuck in my head all day.  I am in the present and living the life I've been given.  I'm not living in regret for something past; I'm not living in fear of what may or may not happen in the future. It was a good day.

Just for today, I will be unafraid.  Especially, I will not be afraid to enjoy what is beautiful, and to believe that as I give to the world, so the world will give to me.

No comments: